In this post I’m going to cover a particular solution to a given problem we’ve faced up in our last project. Let’s set the background: there is a complex web application under development on a shared virtual machine, installed on a subdomain of a public network that will change when going to production. We have also a commercial website hosted in a shared server under a domain that should not change, since it is our first step out of this virtual farm.
For this project, we require to integrate some cameras which send pictures via GPRS connections to the server, and we want to provide some user authentication to avoid having anybody posting whatever to this web service. So, we have developed a controller in Code Igniter which gets a camera ID / password from POST, and also the bytes for the image, and proceeds to do some filtering. For instance, camera ID and password should match with the values previously registered in the database, and the picture should be MIME image/jpeg, with a limit of 2MBs. Up to now, nothing special, tested and working with POSTS from the within the website.
The problem came when we found out that cameras only allow to send their information to a root domain, to a particular file, let’s say upload.php. So, we would only need to put this file in the root path and it’s done. Unfortunately, doing so in the application virtual server would result on flashing again all the cameras once we move to a new server and set up a final domain name. We might be able to install this receiver in the commercial website root path, but then we would require to send the message back to the application server in any way, so it is not the best solution we want to solve this issue.
‘Just add a domain that points to this subdomain and you are done’ would you say. Well, yes, that would have done the trick. Unfortunately, we cannot host this domain in the machine since we have no administrator rights on the servers farm. Nor can we just use this external domain because it produces an HTTP redirection which, to make things worse, is not supported by the camera. We’ve even tried with cloaking the url of the receiver with an external subdomain, with no success – since cloaking wraps the real content inside an iframe and it breaks the POST message.
What a headache! it seemed there was no way to implement the system with the full functionality we wanted…